An Exceptional Paradise
The Headlands of Kalanipu'u is a 1,395 acre paradise located just minutes south of the city of Lihue on the garden isle of Kauai, Hawaii. The property hosts the majestic and historic Hāʻupu mountain range that descends down into the deep blue Pacific Ocean providing about 3.5 miles of Pacific Ocean shoreline that includes the iconic Kawai and Carter points and Unulao and Nohio Bays. This amazing property also fronts one half mile of Nawiliwili Bay to its north and one mile of frontage along Hulēʻia Stream to the northwest.
To the southwest is the isolated and private ranch of Kipu Kai. Kipu Kai Ranch is about 1,070 acres fronted by a lovely bay and backed by cliffs which, on the northeast, makeup the boundaries of the Kalanipu'u headlands. To the east is the boundary of Kipu Ranch, a beautiful cattle ranch edging out from the slopes of the mountain range into the Lihue volcanic basin. The eastern boundary of Kipu Ranch extends along the boundary of the lands of the Kalanipu'u headlands. The Headlands consist of a central large ridge dominated by three mountains. Kalanipu’u, Keopaweo and Hokunui. Several smaller ridges and valleys descend from it.
The Headlands of Kalanipu’u was originally part of the large Kipu land holdings. The holdings had originally come down through the royal family to Princess Ruth Keelikolani. On April 1, 1881, Princess Ruth sold the property to William Hyde Rice. The 26 year old Rice then formed Kipu Ranch to breed cattle and fine horses. William Hyde Rice later sold the Kipu Kai parcel to his mother, Mary Sophia Hyde Rice; who left it to her grandsons. John T. Waterhouse, who was born into a prominent kamaaina family, purchased the Kipu Kai property in 1948 and went on to establish Kipu Kai Ranch. His will stipulated that Kipu Kai be passed on to his nieces and nephews on the condition that when they are gone, Kipu Kai will become the property of the State of Hawaii.
The Rice family became one of the top ten private landowners on the island and eventually sold a 1,395 acre portion of their Kipu Ranch. This portion today is called “The Headlands of Kalanipu’u”